I have a thing for
rocks—river rocks, field rocks, mountain rocks, doesn’t matter. I love
rocks. That is a good thing because
around the farm, we have a lot of rocks.
Where our house and farm are was once cotton fields and peach
orchards. It was farmed for about 150
years before we established our home here, and there are rock piles all over
the farm. At the corner of our yard
under a big oak tree, was a huge pile of rocks that I systematically moved and
made a border for my flowerbeds. Harry’s
dad wasn’t impressed with that since he recalled picking up a lot of those
rocks as a boy. Anyway, I have a love
affair with rocks. I am forever picking
them up in the field or as I walk if I see one I like, I will tote it home and
place it the rock border somewhere.
I guess I get it honestly. My mother had a thing for rocks and had them
as borders in her flower garden on the Reidville Road in Spartanburg, SC (John White Boulevard to you youngsters). The house we lived in had a beautiful natural
field stone fireplace with wonderful rocks with quartz and mica mixed in. I have often wondered what happened to the
rocks in that fireplace when the house was torn down. That house was where the
front entrance to Hatcher Gardens is located now and was torn down a good many
years ago. For my mother’s sake, I hope they took the rocks and did something
nice with them. Mama and Daddy moved to
Inman, SC, in 1957 and Mama moved her
rocks as well. I remember how proud she
was of a bank at the new house where she transplanted her prized irises. Interspersed among the iris, where these
beautiful rocks she had moved from Spartanburg. When Mama died, my sister and I divided up
Mama’s rocks. Yes, it is true. When the
silver and china was divided up and we had closed up the house, all that was
left was Mama’s rocks. There was one
very special rock that was a large whitish rock that had wonderful quartz
crystals all through it and what looks like fossils. I got that rock! It has a place of honor in a flowerbed near
my front door. I call the flower bed the Evelyn …………..flower bed in memory of
mama.
I HAD a humongous quince bush that just had gotten out of control. It
had huge sprouts everywhere and was hiding a flowerbed with daylilies in
it. Harry helped me prune it way back
last year, but that only encouraged it to grow wilder. One of those pretty days we had back in
January, Harry asked sweetly if I would let him dig that bush up. (It has thorns on it and looks “snaky”—his
words—so I knew it was doomed if I said yes.)
I said he could dig the bush up because I had been thinking about
putting a rock wall along the bank where the bush was. “If you will let me build a rock wall there,
you can dig it up.” I said. I expected
opposition but unbelievably, that was all it took.
A few minutes later he was
back with the Bobcat and the bush was history, although a few diehard sprouts
still live and bloomed this spring. They
can stay. I will whack them back with
the chainsaw periodically just to let them know who is boss.
On Monday, Harry asked me if
I was ready to build my rock wall. I
answered that I was but I didn’t have the rocks yet.
I had planned on going to
another rock pile in the pasture and loading up rocks in my spare time in the
MULE and working on the wall as I had time. I planned on reading up how to build a
natural field stone rock wall on YouTube
and build myself a rock wall! I am
feeling pretty good about this DIY stuff.
He said, “I thought we would get some of those big rocks down in the
field above the lake and use them. We
can pretty much build a retaining wall with several of them and you won’t have
to worry about stacking them or using mortar.”
Be still my leaping
heart! The big rocks down in the
field! I have been coveting these “big
rocks down in the field above the lake” for 47 years. (That’s how long I have lived here on the
farm). These rocks are huge fieldstones
that were once the foundation stones for a cabin or house that sat down in the
field more than a 125 years ago. They
are big and well shaped for foundation stones.
I had wanted those rocks up in the yard forever. Every time we would be
out walking or riding in the pasture, I would make a detour to look at those
rocks and wistfully remark that I would love to have them in the yard somewhere
to no avail. And now I am going to have them! Rock junky that I am, I have hit the mother
lode! It took us two trips with the
bucket on the Bobcat but three large rocks were moved and ready to be placed in
my rock wall. However, these rocks weren’t
enough to cover the whole bank.
Harry told me that there was
another place on the farm he had checked out that had some huge rocks we could
also use. He had checked it out and
found these rocks he could get for me?
That sweet man had looked over the farm for rocks. He had been planning
to build this wall for me ever since I let him annihilate the quince bush and
he had been looking for rocks to use. Just
another way he shows he loves me. Forget roses and perfume! Give me rocks! Not the sparkly kind on my finger but the
kind covered in lichen!
So off to the back 40 we go
to another area where fieldstones had been thrown and piled up over the
years. Here, though, were also some huge
boulders that made my heart just almost leap out of my chest! I never knew these rocks were even on the
place! They were stupendous! I have no
idea how they got there. I do not
believe a man with a mule could have moved them. They may have been there naturally. It took three trips with the Bobcat to haul
these rocks to the yard. All in all, we
brought nine gigantic rocks home Monday. There are still three left to
get.
Once we got them home, Harry
worked like a magician with the bucket and forks on the Bobcat to get them in
place. These things won’t budge by
hand! Rain has interrupted our project
and we will have to wait until it dries out to finish backfilling the wall and
finishing the look I want. Just a few
more days and my rock wall will be finished.
No comments:
Post a Comment