Now
that the weather is starting to cooperate and the ground has warmed up, we have
been putting most of our time in to cultivating and planting vegetables in the
garden. The asparagus bed has been the most prolific and earliest bearing ever.
It is now five years old and maybe is just now coming into its prime. I have been eating asparagus for several
weeks now. I have to pick it every day
or it will get too big overnight. I love to roast it in the oven. I put the oven on 400 degrees and lightly
coat the asparagus spears with olive oil and seasoned salt. I let it cook about 15 minutes and sprinkle
parmesan cheese on it when I take it out of the oven. I usually don’t start making asparagus
casseroles until I am tired of eating it steamed, roasted, and grilled. I am
already making asparagus casseroles so it is going to be a long growing
season! I will never look at my
asparagus bed without thinking about Hollis and Dixie McSwain, longtime
residents of Lake Bowen, now both gone to their Heavenly home. Dixie was in the ladies Sunday School class I
have taught off and on for twenty years or so.
She and Hollis were great gardeners and loved to share their bounty and
their love of gardening. Hollis brought
me 8-10 baby asparagus plants in a grocery bag one afternoon. I stuck them in the ground for several months
and then Harry helped me construct the bed they are in. The bed is about 4 feet wide by 8 feet long. I love to give the seeds and plants
away. But if I were to do it again, I
would make the bed about 2 feet wide and 12 feet long. My bed is just a little hard to reach the
middle. One one of my trips to Mount
Vernon and Monticello, I saw the asparagus beds there. They were in long
mounded rows in the garden. If you do
make an asparagus bed, be sure to put it where you want it to be for a long
time. Asparagus lives a long time in the
same place. And for the investment, asparagus is one of those vegetables that
really pays off! I like to note the
price of asparagus in the store or at the restaurant. A side of grilled asparagus at Outback is
$3.99!
We have
planted all the usual vegetables in the garden this year. We have Texas sweet onions that are really
starting to take off. I planted English
peas in late March but I am very disappointed in them. They are just sort of “sitting” there and
really haven’t taken off. English peas
don’t really do well once the weather gets hot so it they don’t hurry up and
start growing and start producing peas, I will have to pull them up without
getting a crop of peas.
We
haven’t planted corn in our garden in a couple of years but we did plant some
this year. It is a yellow sweet
corn. There is nothing better than fresh
corn on the cob or creamed corn!
Harry
loves his tomatoes and we usually plant a good many. I love to can them for
soup and other uses in the winter. And
we basically live on tomato sandwiches in the summer--made with Duke’s
mayonnaise, of course! One of our favorite varieties of tomatoes to
eat on sandwiches and with our vegetable meals is the German Queen. It is an heirloom tomato that has a pinkish
flesh and a wonderful flavor. It will
make a pretty good sized tomato and a slice fits just perfectly on a piece of
bread! We also planted several
varieties that are new to us. We planted
a tomato called “Arkansas Traveler” and “Abraham Lincoln”. We shall see how they turn out. I also planted Roma tomatoes---the nice
pear-shaped tomato that makes great marinara sauce and is great in salads. My go-to canning tomato is Rutgers. It is an old favorite, high acid, and really
great in soups and stews. I will usually
can 20-25 quarts of tomatoes.
We also
have eggplant, cucumbers, broccoli, yellow squash and zucchini. I went crazy on the zucchini and planted 8
plants! What in the world was I
thinking? One or two plants will give me
all the zucchini I could possible want or use.
My friends will be gifted with fresh zucchini and zucchini bread out the
wazoo!
In the
last couple of days, we put fertilizer on the raspberries and blackberries. The
raspberries are really starting to grow and fill in the space and some of the
blackberries are blooming.
I have spent most of my time when I wasn’t
helping Harry in the vegetable garden working in the rose bed, planting
zinnias, and just generally cleaning up left over winter branches and leaves.
The most fun I have had was
“broadcasting” that good horse manure around bushes, plants,roses, and in the
flower beds. I can already see that the
good stuff in the horse manure is working on the plants. Everything is very healthy and green. The
knock-out roses are already blooming and the hybrid tea roses in the bed are
going to be beautiful. Roses really like cool spring weather and plenty of rain
so they will really be beautiful in just a couple of days. I can’t wait for the
perennials to start blooming. I have
several large areas of daylilies, bee balm, several colors of yarrow, iris,
foxgloves, and phlox. Bee balm is also
known as monarda, bergamot, Oswego tea.
I have always called it bee balm.
It has a wonderful smell and if you like essential oils, you will
recognize the smell as bergamot. It is a
very beautiful plant, good in cut arrangements, and the bees and butterflies
love it. I have several colors but
mostly mine is the wild common version you see growing wild along the road in
the mountains, red and purple.
We
finally finished the rock wall! We had a
good bit of rain over the last few weeks that made working in the area really
hard to do because of all the mud. Once
things cleared up and we could get the Bobcat back in the area, Harry put some
good dirt in behind the rock wall and I worked to get things filled in. I have moved some daylilies and candytuft
along the top of the wall. I have also
planted some Cosmos and wildflowers long the base of the wall. There is a very
nice garden area in front of the wall and I planted sunflowers there.
I love
zinnias and I always plant several beds and borders of them all around the
house and yard. I love the colors and
you can’t beat them for an easy cut flower to arrange. But most important to me, the bees and
butterflies love zinnias. I try to have
as many things blooming for the butterflies and bees as possible and I am very
careful about the sprays and pesticides I use.
I have
friends ask me how I grow zinnias with so much success. Really, they are the
easiest flower to grow! And the return
of beautiful, showy blooms until frost is all worth it.
One
thing I do every year is buy new hybrid seeds in different varieties and
colors. The seeds that come up as volunteers every year will be pretty but they
will usually be a pale lavender color and will not be the same shape. These are pretty, but because they are not
hybrid, they won’t be but one color. So,
I go to the expense of buying a good quality seed every year.
Below
are directions for planting zinnias and having a wonderful border of flowers
sure to attract bees and butterflies.
How to Grow
Beautiful Zinnias and Attract Butterflies and Pollinators to Your Garden
Growing
zinnias is very easy. You can have
beautiful blooms for cut flowers from mid June until frost and attract
butterflies and bees to your garden.
Zinnias are some of the easiest flowers to grow and give the biggest
return for beautiful blooms to cut as well as providing food for many insects
and bees.
Step One:
Prepare the flowerbed. Decide
where you want your zinnia bed to be.
Zinnias need full sun but can take some afternoon or early morning
shade. Borders around your house or walkway work well or just a dedicated
flowerbed for the zinnias will work. Prepare the soil by turning it with a
spade or tiller and smooth it out. The
surface should be smooth and free of rocks and debris.
Step Two:
I use the side of a rake or hoe to make a very shallow trench no more
than an inch deep. Make the rows at
least 2 feet apart. Most varieties of
zinnia will get large and showy. They
also need plenty of room for air to circulate so powdery mildew won’t grow on
them.
Step Three: Plant your seeds about 6-8 inches apart. You can thin and transplant them when they
come up and are about 4-5 inches tall.
(I like a variety of colors all mixed in my beds so I put all the seed
packet contents in a bowl and mix then up before planting. You can plant all
one color in a bed or mix it up.)
Step Four:
Very gently take your fingers and just lightly feather the soil over the
seeds, being careful to cover them but not too deeply. If your soil is slightly sandy, cover the
seeds with sand.
Step Five: With your hose or garden can, very
lightly sprinkle water over the seedbed.
Do this every day for about a week.
In about 7-8 days, you should see seeds begin to come up!
More tips for growing beautiful
zinnias:
*Once
the plants have come up and are about 4-5 inches tall, you can thin them to about 1 foot apart—yes –1
foot apart--but remember these plants will get big over the summer.
Then
you can take the plants you thinned and put them other places in your
garden. Just remember to water them
everyday when you transplant them so
their roots can be established.
*To
transplant zinnias, just take your trowel and dig it deep enough to lift the
whole little plant with some soil around it. Then just plant the whole thing
where you want it.
*Fertilize with a product like Miracle Grow for
Flowers and just follow the directions.
*To
have beautiful zinnias all summer, keep the blooms that are dying cut off, or “dead-headed”. This insures more flowers.
*In
late August, I usually stop deadheading old blooms and let the plants start
going to seed.
You
will be delighted to see all sorts of birds, especially Goldfinches, eating the
seeds from the blooms.
I love to let the birds have their time with
the plants before I pull them up in late September.
Next
spring, you will have “volunteer”
zinnias come up in your bed. These will
not be the beautiful variety of plant you had because they are hybrids. If you want really beautiful, showy plants,
you will need to buy new seeds each year.
The zinnias that will bloom from seeds as volunteers will be pretty but
not have the large showy flowers and they are usually just a faded lavender
color.
| Tomatoes on the wire and blackberries |
| Day lilies and Knock Out roses along the road |
| Zinnia bed, rocks to try to stop washing |
| Raspberries and onions |
| Asparagus bed |
| Rock wall with perennial bed |


No comments:
Post a Comment